The Physical Sciences Laboratory is an applied research facility designed to consolidate five facilities within the Army’s laboratory Command, including laboratories from Fort Monmouth NJ, Fort Belvoir VA and White Sands Missile Range NM. Its mission is to support the army’s research into the “soldier of the future” and associated applied technologies such as sensors, battle field environments and bio-chemical research. This 560,000sf project is composed primarily of 400,000 SF of laboratories with an additional 10,000 SF of class 1000 cleanroom. Support functions included 50,000 SF of offices representing three directorates as well as a central plant with waste water treatment facilities. Specialty laboratory functions were primarily optics, electronics and physics but also had specialty areas dealing with semi-conductor assemblies and battery research as well.
Executive Architect: ADP / RTKL a joint venture
Design Team Leader/Programming/Project Designer: Matt Sears while affiliated with ADP
Laboratory Design: Tom Gerbo while affiliated with ADP